Here`s how it works:
1. You tell Google how you wish to re-market. You can re-market to someone who has visited a page on your website. You can select options that include the ability to have your re-marketing ads run on specific sites (such as USA Today), or on types of Websites (such as technology or home and garden). You use a system to build an interactive display ad, and then choose a maximum price that you want to pay if someone clicks on your ad.
2. When someone visits your website, a small line of code tells Google to re-market to that person if they visit selected sites in the content network.
3. When that person goes to another website in Google`s content network, your ad shows up on the page. You gain a valuable advertising impression, and create trust and confidence. After all, you`re organization is advertising on a major Website like USA Today.
4. You pay only when someone clicks on your ad and visits your website. This happens in a real-time auction.
5. The person is now back on your website — and hopefully will make a purchase, subscribe to your newsletter or fill out a contact form.
Here`s Why It Works:
Imagine you are a store owner. On average, it takes 6-12 interactions before someone goes from a browser to a buyer. Many people walk into the store, take a look around, and might come back a few weeks later.
Re-marketing allows you to create additional touch-points, and make the end customer feel more comfortable with you as a trusted business or organization.
To the person, your business or organization stands out: you`re advertising on really big, successful Websites across the Internet. Sites they just normally visit when they want news and information. And then your re-marketing ad pops up. “Wow,” they think. And then click through to your site or pick up the phone and call.
If you`re like me, you spent a lot of time and energy to get them to come to your site. You might be using Cost Per Click advertising (with rates between $0.50 – $12.00 and more per click), or email campaigns, direct mail, social media, radio advertising, TV and print.
Re-marketing allows you to place ads for your product, service or organization as they wander around the Web. If you saw Minority Report, this is what they did using retina scans in the offline world. We`re not there yet in the offline world, but online, we`re getting pretty close.
In some case studies, re-marketing has helped decrease the cost per conversion by 40%. If you haven`t tested re-marketing yet, it`s worth a look.